GETTING BACK IN TO LIBRARIES
All you need to know about our service after the July 19 changes to Government restrictions. How we are phasing in all the things you love about libraries over the coming months, including our facilities, services, original opening times and events.
We will continue to make the library a safe place for customers and staff by keeping some of our safety measures.
Great News! More of our services are available
What has changed?
- Adults and children can visit the library to browse the shelves and choose books, with no time limit on your stay
- You can sit and study, or read in the library and use your own device on the WiFi
- More PCs have been made available and you can book a session yourself on Netloan, by telephoning the library or at the desk when you visit.
- It is now possible to hire a library room
- We will be offering the Inter-Library Loan service for books from other UK libraries
You can also still
- Feel safe, we will continue to offer hand sanitizer, regularly clean the library, we advise face coverings are worn where possible and you can use your track and trace app on entering the library.
- Use our Click and Collect service at any of our open libraries
- Reserve (hold) books and other library items on the online library catalogue
- Return items borrowed from any Nottingham or Nottinghamshire (Inspire) Library
What is coming next?
From Monday 2 August available libraries will be back to their original opening hours and Nottingham Performing Arts Library Service will be fully open again.
During August special theatre events for families will be held in libraries.
From September we will gradually bring back more events and resume regular activities in libraries, like Totstimes.
We are working hard to bring back everything you love about libraries.
We will continue to update this page with any changes to services, please keep checking here for announcements. Also, always check the website page of the library you plan to visit before travelling, in case of emergency changes to services.
Which libraries are open?
All our libraries are now available except
- Nottingham Central Library at Angel Row and Sherwood Library, both are closed until the new buildings are complete. You can find more information about these and all of our available libraries by visiting our Find a Library page.
Some are running reduced services:
- Nottingham Local Studies Library Service is closed to visitors but offering a remote enquiry service via email, LocalStudies.Library@nottinghamcity.gov.uk and web resources via the Local Studies and Family History page
- Nottingham Performing Arts Library Service (NPALS) will continue to be by appointment only until Monday 2 August. Visit the NPALS website for more information.
The temporarily reduced opening hours will end on 1 August, please check on your library’s page for current opening hours and any emergency messages before visiting.
Did you know you can also pick up a rapid flow test at our libraries? Find out more here
For more information about our services
Click on the links below, and continue further down this page for more details. If you can’t find what you are looking for and have a question please contact us
You can reserve books and other items on the online library catalogue, to be collected from any Nottingham City or Inspire (Notts County) library. Until July 31 there is no charge for Nottingham City Library members. Please note: Reservation fees will appear on your account, but charges will be removed automatically by the following day.
If the book you want is not listed on the catalogue. For books not available in Nottingham City or Inspire (Nottinghamshire County) Libraries we can take requests to either buy a copy for stock or try and get the book via an Inter-Library Loan from other UK Libraries, including The British Library. Both are subject to availability and for Inter-Library Loans charges will apply.
Don’t forget… we also have eBooks, eAudio, eMagazines and eNewspapers that you can read at home on a PC, iPad, Tablet or smartphone.
Our fines amnesty for Nottingham City Library members ends 31 July 2021
There are never any charges for books and other library loans that are returned on time. If you have had your books a long time we would like you to return them so that other people can borrow them. Why not swap them for a great new read?